We are knee deep into Summer and the sunshine isn't going anywhere. Although some parts of the world are warmer than others, we can all use a lesson and some tips on how to stay chic in the heat.
Today we're sharing what pieces to add into your summer outfit rotation that can help you beat the heat, along with tips on how to style your wardrobe in ways that will keep you feeling cool and chic.
A Caftan is as versatile as it is timeless. They have held their their own throughout history as a front and center garment in many glamorous moments. The caftan was brought into the limelight as high fashion piece by Diana Vreeland in the ’60s, famously worn by Elizabeth Taylor throughout the ’70s more recently worn on the red carpet by J. Lo, Angelina Jolie and the Olsen sisters. While we commend the caftan for it's impressive test against time, what we love most about the garment is how chic it keeps you, even in the most temperate climates. Because of their breezy and lightweight make, caftans keep you covered, yet comfortable and cool.
A Statement Hat
Not only does a cute hat pair perfectly with summer ensembles, but it also keeps you cool in the heat while protecting you from the sun's harsh rays. You can choose from countless Summer styles such as fedora, panama, straw and boater hats. We recommend choosing a style that blends into your personal style and into your lifestyle. Heading to the beach or pool often? Choose a floppy straw hat for maximum protection. Are you more of a city street cruiser, walking out and about during the Summer? Opt for a smaller chic style such as the panama hat.
There is no doubt that Summer is the season of shorts. And even in the hottest season of the year, many may think shorts are only appropriate a fraction of the time. However, it's all about the fit quality of the short that will determine how versatile they can be. Search for tailored shorts with structure and great details like piping or a soft, yet sturdy fabric. Before you know you'll be staying cool all Summer, while keeping your looks sophisticated.
Now that we've shared a few must-have wardrobe pieces that can show you how to stay chic in the heat, let's talk outfit tips that can help keep you stylishly cool this Summer!
- Although you may gravitate towards lightweight fabrics during Summer, try to avoid flimsy materials so that your clothes don'r stick to your body. Although lightweight clothing is perfect for hot weather, garments do need to have some structure (think embroidery or seams), so that they don't cling to you the moment you begin to sweat.
- Don't forget about your hair! Most of us like to keep our hair frizz-free and neat hair, but summer humidity and heat can make that a real struggle. To help combat this simple up-do's work wonderfully for getting your hair out of your face and keeping everything neat in the heat.
- Choose clothes in natural fabrics. Cotton or silk are two of the most breathable fabrics that will keep you way cooler than synthetic fabrics like polyester or rayon. Clothing made from natural fabrics are also better at absorbing sweat and drying faster, which means you won't feel sweaty for as long as you would if your clothes were made from synthetic fabric.
- Think scarves are the last accessory that would keep you cool during the Summer? Think again! So long as it's made from a natural fabric, such as a silk scarf, scarves actually keep you cool. This is because a small scarf helps to keep your hair off your neck and can also absorb sweat. Try tying it up in your hair or wearing it around your neck.
- Accessorize. While other seasons of the year allow for layering clothing, Summer certainly puts its limits on how many layers you can wear-i.e. skip the shawls, blazers and sweaters. Instead, layer your jewelry. One of the best ways of doing this is by reaching for your statement jewelry like necklaces and bracelets. Accessorizing your outfits this way adds dimension and personality without added warmth that other accessories can add.
We hope you're now ready to take on the Summer heat in style!